Friday 21 August 2009

When in Rome

Tonight I'm leaving Rome for Venice even though the last two days have been fantastic! Rome is massive compared to any place I've been on my trip yet which in turn means much MUCH more to see! The Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine where incredible especially when you consider they've been around for more than 2000 years, It really is like stepping back in time to another world almost! I particularly enjoyed the forum which is where Roman civilisation' first developed all those years ago. The place is obviously in ruins but the peaceful atmosphere and magnificent architecture allows you to walk around for hours forgetting you are in the middle of a busy city. I took a visit to the Vatican to see St Peters Basilica and the Museum! The Cathedral was beautiful and the museum was extremely impressive, probably the biggest one if been too, i walked around for HOURS! The museum finished with the Sistine chapel which was beautiful!

Today I climbed the Spanish Steps, threw some money in the Fountain de Trevi (which is where La Dolce Vita is filmed, great film) and saw the Pantheon amongst some other churches and ancient buildings! The fountain was lovely but due to the extreme temperatures in Rome I almost jumped in (which IS NOT allowed)! My trainers completely fell apart today from so much walking, so i had to buy a new pair which was a bit lame!

There have been some lovely people at the hostel (which was not so lovely), I have come across quite a lot of Canadians and Scandinavians and everyone is so friendly! I've finished Twilight and New Moon but fortunately there was an international bookshop at the train station so I was able to buy Eclipse, woop!

I think I've seen enough churches to satisfy the Pope for a life time and I'm not sure how much more sight seeing I can stand in this heat, I hear Venice is HOT! So after Italy I'm taking it easy, there's only so many museums one person can take!

I hope everything is well in sunny England (I hear there is a heat wave) and everyone is having a good summer!

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment