Thursday 27 August 2009

Ljubljana and Zagreb

I'm in Zagreb after a long day of sight seeing and will be heading to Budapest tomorrow so this is what I've been up to in the mean time.

The train ride to Slovenia was lovely, really picturesque so despite the duration it was really nice to stare out the window! We actually stopped in Austria on route which I didn't even realise until yesterday!

Ljubljana is an absolutely lovely, a really gorgeous, small city. There weren't too many sites except the castle, plenty of art deco buildings (fab!) and museums and galleries which I didn't even bother to go in to. The castle was on the top of a hill and looked over the city, perfect for seeing how Ljubljana is situated in between massive mountains! The architecture was stunning, I loved the style of the buildings and the little bridges were perfect. I did a little bit of shopping and got some awesome harems and a ring, had some yummy ice cream and the biggest burger I've ever seen (Mexican flavour)! Because the city is so small it's extremely enjoyable to walk around without the ability to get (too) lost. The hostel was lovely and the cool temperatures meant I finally got some decent sleep.

The following day I got the train to Zagreb with Emma from the hostel, it was only a short journey but still was nice to have company. For the FIRST time on my adventure I got stamps in my passport. One when we left Slovenia and then when we entered Croatia, very exciting! Went to the hostel for a chilled out evening and listened to a Croatian girl sing and play guitar on the terrace, lovely! I'm supposed to be in a mixed room but I'm the only girl, the snoring is NOT nice! Hung out with a local girl and my room mates and had a really nice evening.

Today I must have walked the whole length and breath of the city. From the top of the hill (old town) to the train station at the other end past the new town! My first impressions of Zagreb weren't great because there was a lot of graffiti everywhere but once I ventured into the centre I suddenly found (to my surprise) much older buildings and less anti social behaviour! The old town was gorgeous. Full of old winding cobbled streets lined with colourful little buildings and churches aplenty. My favourite smell of this trip is probably the inside of a church, they all smell different but there is always a musky incense aroma! I bought a gorgeous necklace and found the international book shop to buy the final twilight instalment, woopie!

In the afternoon I dandered into the new town to have a look at the theatre, fountains, statues and other places a tourist would find interesting! I saw so much today I can barely remember. The city was full of lots of little green parks which were really relaxing to walk around. The flowers were in bloom and the various bars were perfect for a sit down and a drink!

Zagreb is pretty cheap in places but it's a pain not being able to use the Euro. I don't think I would bother to come back but I would like to explore more of the country, the coast and south is meant to be beautiful!

My hostel is next to a chocolate factory and the smell is intoxicating! I bought a bar from the shop and it tastes incredible.

I've got a really long train journey to Budapest tomorrow but fortunately have a new book for company. Tried to learn some local words but was laughed at so don't think i'll bother in Hungry!

Ciao xx

No comments:

Post a Comment